Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
For those of us who love a good cry, I recently read R.J. Palacio’s "Wonder," which left me being one of the main consumers keeping Kleenex in business.

While the book centers on the emotional story of August, a boy with an indescribably severe facial deformity, what really brings the tears in Wonder is how beautifully Palacio depicts how Auggie’s condition affects those in his life. Palacio doesn’t shy away from the fact that as humans we have some nasty instincts; namely, flinching away from others who society would deem ugly. She also doesn’t make people feel bad for doing this. It’s only natural, and she describes it through the brutally honest thoughts of Auggie’s best friend, sister, even his sister’s boyfriend, among others. The way in which these characters divulge their nastiest feelings regarding this kindhearted boy doesn’t make you like them any less. Rather it helps you bond with them as you reflect on how you personally would react upon seeing such a person.

Ultimately it’s the “minor” characters who highlight the most amazing things about Auggie and why judging him on his deformed cover is the worst mistake you could make. Palacio’s writing just goes to show the wonder in all characters of a book, even the small ones.

I’m not sorry for the wonder pun :)
Good Points
Minor characters that are as developed as the main character.
Ability to make readers reflect on how they would react in a similar situation.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account