Middle Grade Fiction 955
Saving the world once again
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

What worked:
This book stars three farm animals with exceptional abilities. I must admit, the title doesn’t grab my interest right away, but those three animals actually ride in Montgolfier’s hot air balloon back in 1783 and become world-famous overnight. The duck named Jean-Luc is a wise tactician, the sheep named Bernadette is an innovative designer, and the rooster named Pierre is a skilled and daring swordsman. Together, along with a young girl named Sophie, they form a team determined to stop any threats to French society.
The plot becomes a story of historical intrigue with spies galore. Emile runs Benjamin Franklin’s home in France, but he joins the animals when Franklin’s sketch of a devastating weapon might be used by an evil organization. Modifications of Montgolfier’s early balloons are frequently used to transport the animals across the lands. King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette actually ruled France during this time, and Count Cagliostro was an Italian charlatan. Cagliostro is the antagonist in this book and he fulfills the expectations of being a despicable scoundrel.
The black and white drawings contribute to the story and aren’t simply add-ons. They help to visualize the characters and setting and they’re used to illustrate several action scenes. They sometimes perform the same function as pictures in graphic novels. Their strategic placement and depictions of events allow the author to use fewer words and help the story move at a comfortable pace. Despite being over two-hundred pages in length, the book can be read quite quickly.
What didn’t work as well:
The plot and characters lack depth, but that’s the price to be paid in a fast-paced book. Situations arise and they’re dealt with swiftly and directly. The story may be full of spies and secret plans, but they’re obvious to readers and don’t include any unexpected twists. The end result is still a very entertaining and amusing adventure for young readers.
The Final Verdict:
The book can be read quickly and it contains the key elements of a delightful story. It has interesting characters, a major conflict, plenty of action, and a sprinkle of humor to keep readers engrossed. I’m not sure of future plans, but the door is open for a sequel. I recommend you give this book a shot!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account