Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
First I love the fact that inspiration for this story comes from "Guaranteed" by Eddie Vedder. Jennifer A. Nielsen sites her inspiration from the line, "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me." This line fits Sage perfectly! Being a musician,I love seeing how music can inspire and help create stories beyond what the musician wrote on the page. At times I could even hear the music in the background. It was like Sage's own personal soundtrack.

Sage, a boy of the streets, narrates his journey throug Connor's twisted plan. As one of Conner's  chosen boys, Sage stands out as a defiant and streetwise. He is not like the others. Everyone has their own game plan and secrets.

Sage has the smarts and the wits to keep himself alive. The only question is  . . . Is he capable of outwitting Connor and winning the game? Or, is there more to Connor than there seems. Sage can be devious, but he isn't ruthless. He has a big heart that he must keep hidden from the others.

I love Sage's honest narration. He has lived on the streets, knows the feeling of being unwanted, and yet he is a survivor. His quick tongue and his lack on interest in following Connor's directions makes this a fun read.

This book sounded like the all too familiar medieval tale, but it has a unique twist. The story is familiar, yet fresh. I applaud Nielsen for writing a story line that harkens back to old knight's tales while keeping the characters relatable to middle schools boys and girls alike. Although pace is slow in the very beginning , it picks up paces quickly.  It will keep any adventure loving reader on the edge of their seats. Once the story got going, I couldn't put it down. This a book that I can hand both my male and female students knowing they will find it enjoyable. I cannot wait to read more.
Good Points
Fresh voice in narrator Sage
Appealing to both male and female readers.
Language not too overly detailed
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account