Review Detail

4.6 51
Middle Grade Fiction 380
Some characters should only be imagined...
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Imagine, if you will, that you could meet Snow White or Cinderella or Harry Potter. Who would pass up a chance at that? But what if, instead of Harry, you got Voldemort?

Brief warning: this review will contain some spoilers. If you don't want to learn too many details (I promise I won't give out too much more than you can find on the dust jacket, but some people don't want any elements spoiled), stop here and just go out and buy the book. It's good. You'll like it.

Meggie's father, Mo, has an incredible talent that has earned him the nickname of Silvertongue. He can read characters from books out of their own worlds and into ours. The problem is, he doesn't know which character is coming. Even worse, someone else might disappear into the book.

That's what happens one night as Mo is reading a fantasy book to his wife and baby Meggie. Teresa, Meggie's mother, disappears and in her place is the vile and evil Capricorn, along with some of his henchmen and a strange fellow called Dustfinger. That all happened years ago, as the story starts up with Meggie at age twelve. She doesn't know of her father's talent or the real story of her mother's disappearance. She just knows that they have to move a lot.

Once Dustfinger appears again in their lives, Meggie, her father, and her mother's sister Elinor (a grim and forbidding booklover who you will learn to love as the book goes on) find themselves in the middle of a strange adventure. Capricorn has recruited a regular thieve's den and is determined to get Mo back in his clutches to help him amass a fortune beyond imagination.

The story builds with one precarious capture and escape after another and takes many twists and turns. You won't be able to put this book down once you pick it up, because you just don't know what is going to happen next.

A very satisfying fantasy read, I highly recommend this book to readers 10 and up. Younger readers may find Capricorn's band of cutthroats scary (and rightfully so). While the heroine is a girl, this book should also appeal to boys quite easily.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account