Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Copper is your ordinary 15-year-old boy who is trying to cope with the hard times life offers. Between school, losing his father, and discovering true friendship, he learns that not everything is easy but it's how you react to it that matters the most. Thankfully, he still has his mother and uncle to help him. Then, there's the other point of view of his uncle who's trying to help Copper understand what living and humanity is all about. Copper writes to him and his uncle has lots of great advice.

HOW DO YOU LIVE is a thought-provoking coming of age novel that teaches children how to navigate through life. The uncle's advice is something all children can learn from. Copper is a relatable character and I look forward to the movie Hayao Miyazaki is going to make of this, but I'm sure it's a long time coming. The writing is beautiful and I'm happy it was translated into English because it's one that will teach children how to become a good member of society.

Final Verdict: I would recommend this book to all children ages 10 and up because it's engaging and an eye opener that teaches us life lessons. Genzaburo Yoshino gives the tools a teen will need to become a kind and functional person who will also stand up for those in need. The inner themes of friendship and family are another positive the author incorporates.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account