Breaking Stereotypes and Expectations
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What worked:
In the opening pages, Sylvie’s healing magic works by seeing into people’s minds but there’s no one in her village who can train her to use it safely. Sylvie must leave home after rashly stretching her ability and realizing the harm she’s capable of inflicting on others. Her venture into the world takes her to larger French cities where she begins to learn how life works outside her small village. Sylvie visits actual cities like Lyon and Marseilles to keep things realistic and characters move about on foot, horseback, or wagon. The setting contrasts with the witchcraft practiced by several characters but don’t expect anything especially super magical to happen. It’s not a story full of spells and hexes as the magic is more subtle.
The plot tells of Sylvie’s journey to discover herself. She wants to use her abilities for healing as her mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother have done before. The mistake Sylvie makes causes her to doubt herself and become reluctant to use her power. The search for a mentor finds her hiding her talents from others as some people will view her ability as a gift from God while others are more judgmental and will persecute her as a witch. The conflict with religion is a large part of the plot, which is ironic due to Sylvie’s devout belief in God. Sylvie is overly concerned with others’ opinions so perhaps her real quest is to reflect on herself and determine her own, true intentions.
The story is artfully written as the author is able to paint vivid images and evoke a myriad of feelings. “The chubby palm, graven across by a peculiarly long lifeline.” “There was no air, and Sylvie was a fistful of earth again, and the Hands that grasped her had clenched viciously.” The sentence structure and vocabulary are the author’s special talents as she crafts her enchanting. Much of the story develops within Sylvie’s mind so it’s important for readers to experience her complex thoughts and emotions.
What didn’t work as well:
I wish the author had shared more about Martin. The young boy accompanies Sylvie across France and offers different opinions and insights along the way. He’s leaving an abusive home situation and is excited by the idea of seeing the world. I expect there’s more going on inside his head but I wish I knew more about what makes him tick.
The Final Verdict:
This story shares Sylvie’s development as a witch and her hope to do good and heal others. There aren’t any evil spells cast but a contrast in witchy perspectives is shown between Sylvie and another witch. I recommend you give this book a shot.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account