Middle Grade Fiction 1049
City of Secrets by Alex London
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Okay, what an amazing third entry. I am seriously enjoying this series so much but this has to be my favorite one so far. So much happened in this book and it was wonderful. Abel and his family were exiled from Drakopolis to Glassblower's Gulch where honestly, not much is different. They are already on probation from the Sherriff and the Deputy, who are both horrible (which was no surprise). It starts off quick and with a bang and doesn't slow down. The progression of the story is so interesting, and it's hard to tell much without giving it away. The way Alex combined the first two books and made a full circle - WHY IS BOOK 4 NOT HERE YET?! But this is such a well written series and any middle grader to adult will enjoy Battle Dragons.

The progression of each character is astounding. How much they can still be themselves but learn from each book is what makes these characters so well liked. I love Abel and while he might not be book smart (as the saying goes), he is so intelligent in a way most adults aren't. Abel knows his limits and knows when to ask for help. He is so intuitive of his surroundings and I love to see how he uses it to his advantages. I also love how much his parents are involved in everything as well. There is so much character growth between all of them and I'm loving the information being taught about the dragons.

Overall, City of Secrets by Alex London was a huge success. I absolutely loved this book and flew through it. I thought this was the best entry of the series yet. It was interesting getting out of Drakopolis and seeing another city and the politics there. While not too much is different, it really starts to show this world more. The plot was intriguing and I really enjoyed the whole thing. Abel just continues to grow and the more his character develops, the more attached I get -- to all of them really! It's great to see so many themes wrapped up so nicely and also DRAGONS! I highly recommend this book to any middle grader who enjoys fantasy and dragons, and honestly to any adult as well.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account