Review Detail

Rising Hero
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Charlie Hernández thought he was an ordinary boy growing up in a loving family but things have taken a turn in recent months. One day while he was with friends, his house burned to the ground and his parents disappeared. Now he is staying with an elderly neighbor who has weird dolls and a lot of leftover children’s toys that she sells. The real clencher is when he starts manifesting strange body parts, a horn, then feathers, and lastly a lobster claw.
These manifestations have him questioning the tales his abuela told him as a boy of the Latin myths that might not be so made up after all. These manifestations also lead to some humorous and embarrassing run-ins at middle school, where no one wants to be seen as different anyway.
Violet Ray wants to be an investigative reporter when she is older. She is smart enough to realize strange things are going on with Charlie. With her help, they undergo many dangerous situations to find the truth about his destiny and his parent’s fate. Their interactions are endearing and a great foundation for a future relationship to grow.
This book was intriguing with the Latin American mythos seamlessly woven into the fabric of the tale. It is engaging for people within and from outside the Latin culture. I do wish Charlie’s worry and heartbreak over his parent's disappearance were emphasized a bit more. He was strikingly pleasant and ready for this adventure for someone who has experienced so many changes that it felt less realistic to me during the setup of the story. Overall, it was humorous and the characters captured the middle school mentality. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account