Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
You know those epic fantasy adventures from childhood that stick with you forever? For me it’s movies like “FernGully,” “The Dark Crystal,” and “The Secret of Nimh.” After reading Trevor Pryce’s “An Army of Frogs,” I’m sure this is going to become a fantasy adventure that sticks with the next generation of young readers.

“An Army of Frogs” follows Darel, a young wood frog who wants nothing more than to be part of the Kulipari, a legendary band of warriors, like his deceased father. There’s only one problem: Kulipari are all poisonous frogs, and unfortunately for Darel, he ain’t got a drop of poison in him. That doesn’t stop Darel from training to become a fierce warrior, which happens to come in handy as an insanely large army of scorpions and spiders tries to take over Darel’s home, the Amphibilands.

The adventure that ensues has it all. There’s the wise old magician, who happens to be an ancient turtle; skilled fighters that have abilities bordering on superpowers; a lovable and rotund sidekick, Gee, that Darel would do anything for; fearsome enemies that make your skin crawl; and epic battles scenes all in the hopes of saving a beloved homeland. It is these characteristics that make the book a worthy addition to the fantasy adventure genre and will most certainly make it memorable for middle grade readers.

An aspect that makes “An Army of Frogs” stand out is that it is set in Australia. When Australia comes to mind, I think most people just envision the Outback and leave it at that. This book explores multiple habitats on the continent, from the desolate Outback, to lush forests, to coastal paradises. The book also describes multiple species that live on the continent, educating readers in a subtle way without making it feel like we’re learning a lesson.

Finally, I love that this book is written by a former NFL player. Trevor Pryce played football for 14 years, and even won the Super Bowl. It makes me giddy when athletes become advocates for reading, as many boys out there who think reading is uncool need mentors they look up to to tell them otherwise. It becomes an even greater help when those mentors write books themselves. Pair Pryce’s wonderfully crafted fantasy adventure in “An Army of Frogs” with his stamp on sports history, and you get an engaging platform to create avid new readers.
Good Points
All the characteristics of a great fantasy epic.
A look into the varying habitats of Australia.
Frogs have never looked so cool!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
July 15, 2013
A frog story sounds neat, but you lost me at spiders. I don't think I can deal with invading spiders :P
1 results - showing 1 - 1