Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This is the epitome of middle grade fantasy, if you ask me. Set in the most perfect seaside, cliff-dotted town, Wellow, this sequel to Welsh's Mistress of the Storm is the grand continuation of the story of Verity Gallant. Verity has recently come out of her awkward, unpopular phase, and is now getting used to being happy--a state of mind she is incredibly thankful for and scared of losing. With her family now reunited, she happily embarks on another year at Priory Bay with her two best friends, ready for her good times to continue: sailing with Martha and Henry, getting to know her grandfather, Rafe (famed leader of the Gentry) better and watching her tiny sister, Olivia, grow into a toddler. But Wellow is beginning to crumble (literally), and Verity quickly realizes that her run-ins with the Keepers (demi-goddesses) are not yet over.

Filled with the perplexing emotional upheaval of the early teenage years, as well as plenty of action, danger, and interesting characters with depth and intrigue, this book was simply a pleasure in every way to read. I love all of the characters, I love trying to solve the riddles and puzzles Verity continuously stumbles upon, and I especially adore taking it all in through the eyes of Verity--who, although she doesn't possess any magic within herself, possesses the character and strength of spirit necessary to make it through it all, and come out stronger and more vibrant than before. Yay for a character who doesn't 'need' magical powers to make a difference--and yay for this series! I cannot WAIT for the next book.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account