Middle Grade Fiction 353
Loved This One
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I received this book just before Halloween, and honestly, I am a bit bummed that I wasn't able to get to it in time for the spooky season. However, I am glad I got a chance to read it.

"Extra Normal" is in the vein of books that I am delighted to see are making a comeback: middle-grade/childrens' novels in the style of John Bellairs or Mary Downing Hahn. I loved the spookiness of those books which delighted the horror lover in me. The book tells the story of Charlie, our ordinary protagonist who finds her niche as the caretaker of her extraordinary family of werewolves, psychics, and ghosts. While her parents are on a much-deserved vacation, Charlie does her best to live up to her responsibilities when some mysterious neighbors move in. These new arrivals appear normal, like her. But are they perhaps a bit too normal? And how will that impact Charlie's family?

I love the author's way of interjecting not just humor into this middle-grade horror story, but also feelings in a way that appears completely natural and does not detract from the mystery. Charlie is not related to most of her siblings by blood, yet she is fiercely protective. And, while older and experienced readers might realize there are a few contrivances in character in plot, it is all in good fun and does not make the book the least bit unenjoyable. In the end, the book is successful in what it is trying to be, a heartfelt story about the importance of family with some mystery and horror added for flavor.

I received this book for free through YABC's giveaway program. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account