N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Flak Monkey

Not written for the overly indulged and exceedingly sheltered suburban soccer brat, this manuscript appears to be written more for the youngster with a dubious attitude toward "happily ever after." I'm still trying to decide quite WHAT I think -- I acknowledge being appalled when insidious Count Olaf slapped Klaus, bound Sunny and attempted to marry 14 year old Violet. But it might give credibility to the child who understands powerlessness? Probably the intended audience has some experience along those lines? I thoroughly enjoyed the interweaving of vocabulary and definitions, Violet's "inventing" tendencies, Klaus's fascination with books, and the rather smarmy narrator conveys MUCH with his voices. This should appeal to an adolescent who might not buy the goody-two-shoes books directed at that generation. My friend who recommended this series says that the books become more clever language wise, and that the author "starts making his views known on things he finds absurd - for instance, people who follow trends, the "in" crowd, etc." So, I think I'll stick with Lemony for a bit.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account