Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Upon seeing the title of Kristen Chandler’s "Wolves, Boys, & Other Things That Might Kill Me," I was convinced I was about to delve into yet another werewolf story. Not that I’m against werewolves or anything (except when played by Taylor Lautner), I just wasn’t sure how another werewolf book could bring something new to the genre. Even though I was expecting fantasy and realized the book was about actual wolves, I still devoured the whole thing.

Chandler may not have brought anything new to the werewolf theme, but she most definitely brought something new to the contemporary genre. Where so many of these books focus on a whiny protagonist who just can’t help it that so many boys love her, this book focuses on a headstrong girl who’s fighting for a cause that means the world to her. The lead character, KJ Carson, is so strong that Chandler didn’t have to resort to torrid love affairs or romantically impossible odds to keep readers interested. All she needed was a few acres of national park, some outraged Montanans and a few farm boys to spice up the scenery and voila! One great contemporary novel.

To make matters even better, Chandler has finally proven that not every new hit needs some fantastical beasts to become a page-turner. Ordinary animals will do just fine.
Good Points
Headstrong, empowered female protagonist.
Proof that sometimes just regular ol' wolves will do for a good story as opposed to lustful werewolves.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account