Review Detail

Middle Grade Non-Fiction 1539
Much Missed Tejano Star
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

Born in 1971 in Texas, Selena Quintillana was raised by parents who thought it better if she didn't speak Spanish to try to avoid racial prejudice. Her father had a band, but couldn't earn enough money to support the family through music alone, so worked other jobs. He did, however, require all three of his children to pursue music. AB wrote songs and played bass, Suzette played drums, and Selena sang. Interestingly enough, since the family was singing Tejano style music, Selena had to learn to sing in Spanish! Soon, Selena's singing gained a lot of attention, and by the time she was in her teens, the group, Selena and Los Dinos, had recording contracts and air play on the radio. As she produced more and more albums, she also focused her energies on fashion design and some cosmetics. While she was very successful, there was a woman who insinuated herself into the family, Yolanda Saldivar, who caused problems and eventually ended up shooting and killing Selena in an argument when the singer was quite young. Thanks to her family and fans, Selena's spirit and music live on.
Good Points
The Who Was series is one that many young readers like because the books are short, heavily illustrated (although there are no photographs), and give a full picture of the person, even covering problems in the person's life with age appropriate coverage. I was not familiar with Selena's music, but feel like I have a good working understanding of her career after reading this book.

Aspiring singers will find Selena's hard work and progress towards her goal of having a career in music inspiring, and her family's struggles with prejudice in Texas are important to remember. There are good side notes about how the Corpus Christi, Texas telephone directories in the early part of 10th century list families' faces next to their phone numbers!

I'm glad to see that there are more biographies of Latine Americans being published; this series also has a title about singer Celia Cruz. I'm a big fan of collective biographies like Reynoso's Be Bold! Be Brave! 11 Latinas who made U.S. History or Nuestra América: 30 Inspiring Latinas/Latinos Who Have Shaped the United States by Sabrina Vourvoulias, but this deeper exploration of individuals' careers will be great for reading and for research when biography projects are assigned in schools.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
November 16, 2022
i want to share to the whole world how Dr Kachi the Great of all the Spell Caster, that helped me reunite my marriage back, my Ex Husband broke up with me 3months ago, I have been trying to get him back ever since then, i was worried and so confused because i love him so much. I was really going too much depressed, he left me with my kids and just ignored me constantly. I have begged him for forgiveness through text messages for him to come back home and the kids crying and miss their dad but he wont reply, I wanted him back desperately. we were in a very good couple and yet he just ignores me and get on with his life just like that, so i was looking for help after reading a post of Dr Kachi on the internet when i saw a lady name SHARRON testified that Dr Kachi cast a Pure love spell to stop divorce. and i also met with other, it was about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 24 hours at the end of her testimony she dropped his email, I contacted Dr Kachi via email and explained my problem to Dr Kachi and he told me what went wrong with my husband and how it happen, that he will restored my marriage back, and to my greatest surprise my Ex husband came back to me, and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day our marriage is now stronger than how it was before, Dr Kachi you're a real spell caster, you can also get your Ex back and live with him happily: Contact Email [email protected] his Number CALL/ WHATSAPP: +1 (209) 893-8075 Visit his Website: https://drkachispellcast.wixsite.com/my-site
J
julianadavis877
1 results - showing 1 - 1

Latest Additions