Powerful and Gritty
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I loved:

The idea of a novel in verse is always appealing to me, and I was unable to put this book down, finishing it in a single day. The author captures the hardships of living in an inner-city setting and growing up in poverty, with so many systemic factors working against Sarai, yet still manages to highlight the small joys she finds in her life. Sarai dreams big, but sees all the ways that the world works to hold her down, and is older than her years, seeing difficult situations, such as addiction, domestic violence, gun violence, mental illness, and teen pregnancy, on a regular basis. The characters in the story are realistic and compelling, and while they’re busy focusing on survival, they don’t have time to indulge in processing their emotions. Sarai is left to deal with her own feelings about who she is and how to reconcile her Puerto Rican heritage with the fact that she doesn’t know much about her own history and what it really means to be Puerto Rican.

The Final Verdict:

The story is amazing, addressing race, class, and socioeconomic issues against a background of gentrification and what it means to the people living in the area. Some of the issues may be difficult material for some younger readers to process, but it’s a gorgeously written story. The powerful format of poetry turns this raw and gritty story into a thing of beauty, highlighting Sarai’s strength and hope amidst all the factors working against her.
Good Points
- Beautiful use of verse.
- Well-rounded characters and strong setting.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
September 07, 2022
A GREAT SPELL CASTER THAT HELPED ME BRING BACK MY EX LOVER

What a wonderful and straightforward spell caster that has brought back joy and happiness into my life!!! I'm giving this testimony because I am so happy, I want to thank Dr. Lucas for the great work He has done in my life, He brought happiness back to my life, I never believed in spell casters until my life fell apart when my lover of 6 years decided to call it quits almost when we wanted to get married. I had such an emotional breakdown to the extent I could not do anything reasonable again, after 3months in pain before an old friend of mine introduced me to a spell caster online called Dr. Lucas, this was after I had been scammed by various fake spell casters. I was introduced to Dr. Lucas, a true Spell Caster. In less than 38 hours I saw wonders, my lover came back to me and my life got back just like a completed puzzle, and after 1month later we got married and it was just like a dream to me because I thought I had lost him forever. Thank you Dr. Lucas for helping me but most of all, Your Honesty and Fast Accurate Results. EMAIL HIM FOR HELP: [email protected] Or contact him through his Website: https://miraculouscentre.wixsite.com/my-site-1 You can also message Him through his private What's App Number +15302120104. His Facebook Page https://web.facebook.com/miraculouscentre My Personal Blog: https://kobemyla.blogspot.com/
K
kobemyla05
September 23, 2022
I NEED AN URGENT LOVE SPELL CASTER TO BRING BACK MY EX LOVER
My Husband broke up with me after 9years of relationship. It started from small misunderstandings after which he told me that it would be good to take a break, which I think turned into a breakup. He no longer looks for me, he blocked my number and people said they saw him with another woman, this brought tears to my eyes because we are about to marry, I searched for help when I came across this spiritual man called DR ABDUL who have helped many people having relationship problem, I talked with him about my situation and he described to me the process to get back with my lover, I followed his instructions and today I’m happy because my man came back after 5 months of breakup and we are happily married now. If you need the help of a spell caster for any kind of relationship problem contact DR ABDUL for a lasting solution. EMAIL: [email protected]
Call/whatsapp number:+2348108728256
R
ROSE22
2 results - showing 1 - 2