Review Detail

3.5 2
Young Adult Fiction 410
A beautiful contemporary about forgiveness and acceptance.
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I think we all have that one person in our life.

The one who is no good for anyone, especially themselves. Self-destructive and self-disciplining.

The one that doesn’t try to do better. Just wallows in self-pity and hatred and regret.

The ones you can only watch and hope that one day they come to their senses and get their life’s together.

I’ve had my share of these people pass through my life. (and a lot of them are my family, so I can’t really get away from them). Watching it unfold between the pages of What’s Broken Between Us was equally heartbreaking and reassuring.

I adored this book. I devoured it after work and between workouts. I thought about it when I was cooking and doing laundry. In other words, this book consumed my life.

Maybe it was the flowing prose and the relatable story. It might have been the characters that I grew to care about (and then want to smack them every time they did something stupid).

Amanda. Amander. (I read most of this book in Henry’s British accent because it was actually believable). She is one of those characters that doesn’t feel like a character in a book but more like someone you’d meet in life.

That’s how I felt for all the other characters too. Mumsy and Standard Dad (LOVED THAT, BTW). Henry and Sutton. They all felt real. And most of all, Jonathan. He was the most authentic. This is how people with a substance abuse problem act (and Jonathan with his PTSD, probably). They’re careless with their lifes and others. It was just overwhelming to read sometimes, but I couldn’t stop.

What’s Broken Between Us is a true to life look at what happens after a tragedy strikes a family-a community-a friendship. It’s a tale of forgiveness and acceptance. A beautiful contemporary
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account