Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 258
This will definitely satisfy your heart!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
So… here we are. We’ve been blessed by possibly the most anticipated collaboration from two YA authors, so how could I not read it? I’m big fans of both Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, so when my friend JM @ Book Freak Revelations offered his tour, I couldn’t say no. Add the fact that I’m in love with Dear Evan Hansen, from which the title of this book was based on.

Like Arthur, I’m a believer of the universe and how it affects people’s actions. I believe that the universe let me read this book because I really just love it when books toy with my fragile emotions.

This book is so… soft. It’s beaming with emotions so raw that I found myself either laughing or tearing up while reading. I love Arthur and Ben, flaws and all. I love how they complemented each other’s characters. Arthur was sort of the sappy hopeless romantic, while Ben, going through a tough breakup, seemed to be the jaded, chill kind of guy.

I also love the inclusion and depiction of the minor characters in the story. Friends from both sides were wonderfully inserted in the narrative so they didn’t feel like just a flat cardboard on the background. I particularly like Dylan and his antics. He’s always ridden with quips and I would literally fight for this guy and his sense of humor.

Becky and Adam made some references/easter eggs in the book that pertains to some of their books and people around them, like Dylan and Jessie who is based on David Arnold and Jasmine Warga. Beckminavidera FTW!

What felt lacking for me was the pacing and the characters voices weren’t that distinct. Don’t get me wrong, I like dual POVs, but I FRIKKIN LOVE it when it’s easy to distinguish who’s who. For the pacing, it just felt a little too long at some point.

But the ending… OH GOD THAT ENDING!!! I seem to enjoy and appreciate open endings nowadays and this one was just so PERFECT! I couldn’t ask for a better one. I could think of a million what ifs and I guess that was the point of the whole story.

Overall, Becky and Adam most certainly did not disappoint! What If It’s Us is a great story of finding love in all forms, set in New York City, which will definitely satisfy your heart no matter whether you’re a cynic or a hopeless romantic.
Good Points
character dynamics, writing style
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account