Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Saile G

Wake Review

Wake by Lisa McMann is a book following Janie Hanagan who has an involuntary     ability of being sucked into the dreams of the people around her.

She officially fully notices her secret talent at the age of eight, and throughout her years, and into high school, the effects grow stronger. A traumatic event in a dream that she doesnt understand leads her eventually into Cabel. Cabel and Janie act as the love interesting the novel but they both have important roles in helping each other with their problems. Janie tries to figure out the meaning of Cabels secret dream and the story behind it while Cabel, in a way helps her control her dreaming ability.

The whole thing itself seemed a little short, but had good visual vocabulary.

One thing however that could have been explained better were the transitions that were in between chapter. For example, One day Janie would be ten years old, then an event would happen, then it would say she is sixteen. The huge jump keeps you wondering, and leaves you with unanswered questions that just leave you hanging. I think it lacked detail from that. It had a dreamy like3 vocabulary that made things feel unreal when she was talking in real life, and not in dream land. However, the types of dreams that are written are very realistic to ones that I and you would have. Everyone has had those dreams that just catch the eye and are with you forever, and in Wake, it explains in detail just that. I believe that dreams have meaning of what you feel, what you need to do, and perhaps a future. When you are in sleep mode, your brain takes control and acts separate from your body. Its like your body goes inside your brain and explores the specific map it made.

This book has plenty of thrilling scenes that will catch your eye, and can totally change your opinion on the entire book. But this novel is the type that its either really good or just a book on a shelf with the rest. I would rate this book a three out of five because it didnt have that mind blowing ending that would make you want more, but its relations to what teens go through are on the spot, and are really relatable. Wake by Lisa McMann is a definite read if you have a thing for short stories that you can read for fun.

-Saile G

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
November 08, 2013
I have a feeling this would be a middle-of-the-road read for. I read Cryer's Cross and was entirely unimpressed, though I do enjoy her middle grade series. Average books are fine and all, but I'd rather take my chances on a book I think I'd enjoy more. There are only so many reading hours in one lifetime!
1 results - showing 1 - 1