Review Detail

Fun story complete with activity
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

In this second book in a series, Vivi and her class visit an aquarium with their teacher, Ms. Cousteau.Since Vivi loves marine biology, she is very excited. The children get to touch a stingray, see sea turtles, and learn about the habits of flatfish. The scientist at the aquarium teaches them about the swim bladder in the flatfish, and shows them how to make their own out of a balloon and bottle. The concept of low density and high density is explained and demonstrated so that the children understand how the flatfish is able to stay on the bottom of the tank. Vivi gets to ask more questions, and is happy to go home and tell her goldfish, Bubbles, what she has learned. Instructions for recreating the swim bladder experiment are included at the end of the book.
Good Points
Vivi's love for science is great to see, and there are a number of other books in this I Can Read series, some involving Vivi, and some with Cece and Libby as main characters. STEM related books are in great demand, and are a good way to encourage children, especially girls, to investigate different areas of science. I was surprised at how very detailed the information about the swim bladder was, but it was also well explained and easy to understand for early elementary school readers. The pictures and examples help visually represent the concept well. The spacing of the text and pictures is particularly helpful, with shorter lines of text located directly under the picture of the concept being explained, instead of in one clump at the bottom of the page.

The illustrations are brightly colored and appealing, with lots of blue for the water, but with bright pops of yellow in Vivi's clothing and various fish. Ms. Cousteau and the scientist are women of color, and Vivi and her classmates represent a variety of ethnicities, although there is nothing in the text that specifically states any cultural connections.

If my land locked middle grade readers are any indication, marine biology is fascinating to a lot of children, and emerging independent readers will enjoy tagging along on Vivi's field trip. Pair this was books like Mihaly's Water: A Deep Dive of Discovery, Lawler's Oceans of Love, and National Geographic Kid's Ultimate Ocean-Pedia, but be prepared to make a swim bladder out of a ballon and a small glass bottle. It's the plastic tubing that you'll need to find in advance, since I know I don't have any lying around the house!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account