Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I have so many thoughts on this book I'm not sure where to even start. On one hand, I was in love with some things, but on the other hand, I hated some things. But overall, the debut of Kami Garcia's solo writing career is off to a good start.
Let's start with what I liked. I LOVED the creepy factor. If I'm reading a scary book and I have to stop several times to make sure I'm not hearing things, or make sure the door is locked, and things like that, then I know I have thoroughly been creeped out. And I definitely had to do all that and more while reading this. The ghosts and demons and flying objects were enough to give me nightmares. This was my favorite part of the book. Every time there was a creepy scene I was glued to the pages.
Also, I loved that it was so easy to read. The chapters were short and the writing was simple. All of that resulted in a fast read for me. That;s exactly what I needed right now after being in a slight slump.
The only thing I didn't really like, was the romance. It felt forced and fake to me. I figured I was just being picky (since I'm a bit of a "romance lover") but the more I read it, the more I hated it. I found this weird because I LOVED the romance in Beautiful Creatures, which begs the question, was Margaret Stohl the person who wrote that part???? But the characters together felt fake with each other.
I also didn't like the characters. Which is maybe why I didn't like the romance, but I'm not sure. I never connected with Kennedy and she was getting on my nerves throughout the entire story. She never believed in herself and to be a main character you can't be that weak. Especially when you have other people's lives in your hands. And then every time she messed up, she never even tried to fix it. She just said oh I'm sorry trust me, her mistakes weren't just small ones.
Then there was that ending. I know its a series, but I felt like nothing was really tied up at the end. There's a bit of a cliff hanger, but it won't leave you with your mouth hanging open. Just one to make you want the next book. Desperately.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account