Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The very title of the book suggests all the themes and morals that the author wants you to take away from it; I mean, seriously, a book titled Uglies. That said, on to the review.

The writing style was average. Nothing awful, but nothing quite outstanding either.

Tally has got to be one of the least relatable, least likable characters in all of YA. I found her to be selfish, weak, shallow, and unloyal. It takes meeting a boy she has only known for a little bit for her to decide not to betray her friends, rather than thinking about her friends when she made that decision. Yes, she’s flawed…so flawed I wanted, several times, to smack her in the face for being so superficial and actually caring so little about the friends she has had for months. And reading a story from the point of a view of a character that I absolutely despise will do nothing for that book’s reputation in my mind. At least there are some decent characters in the book.

The premise of the book is great! I’m going to assume you read the summary, so I don’t have to summarize it. It’s original (for dystopian), and though one of its themes is rather obvious, it is extremely relevant to today’s society, in which models and celebrities are admired for being underweight. I, unfortunately, felt as if the plot was going almost nowhere. It felt too much like a setup for the next book, rather than being unique and individual in and of itself. For a book that is over 400 pages long, all the necessary plot points can be summarized way too quickly, and most of the time, when there actually was some sort of action going on, I couldn’t bring myself to care about the characters enough to actually care about the action.

My review’s a bit harsh, but that’s mainly because of the bad impression Tally left on me. A lot of other people seemed to love this book, so I’d recommend this book for: lovers of dystopian, lovers of romance, and more. If you have no patience for either of these things, as they are both extremely common on today’s YA shelves, don’t bother.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account