Review Detail

Beautiful Illustrations
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS is a classic Christmas story that has been passed down from generation to generation. It's about one man's encounter with St. Nicholas and while it's been told in many different fashions, this book sticks to the original wording from 1823. It flows as smooth as a melody of a song and makes for a great bedtime story during the holiday season.

There are many retellings of The Night Before Christmas, but I love the history lesson at the beginning of this one. The reader learns where this rumor began and I didn't realize it was as early as 1823. It's also fascinating that the first place it was published was as a newspaper article. The illustrations are beautifully detailed in black and white which isn't too stimulating to the eye. This also sets that soothing tone to settle children down in bed so St. Nicholas doesn't skip over their house!

Final Verdict: Of all the Night Before Christmas stories I've read, this one is hands down my favorite. I love the stunning illustrations and the lyrical writing. The history lesson gives it that added bonus for both parents and their children.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account