Set up for Book #3
(Updated: January 21, 2023)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
TRESPASSERS by Claire McFall is a YA Sci-Fi Fantasy novel and sequel to FERRYMAN. At this point, Dylan and Tristan have successfully crossed into the land of the living, having escaped terrifying creatures and death itself, but those obstacles pale in comparison to Dylan’s mom, Joan. She is more than happy to keep Dylan and Tristan apart, unknowing that if they don’t stay within close proximity to one another, they’ll both die. It’s not the most ideal circumstance, but Dylan and Tristan are happy to put up with it as long as they can live normal lives together. Unfortunately, when more beings start crossing from the wasteland, killing innocent humans before their time, Dylan and Tristan must remedy the situation or they may end up back in the wasteland themselves.

Overall, this story is very unique and imaginative. I like how the author sets up what happens post-mortem, and because of this, I enjoy Susanna’s chapters quite a bit, particularly when she guides the older woman to be rejoined with her husband. Also, more than anything else, in the third book, I want to see how Susanna and Jack will navigate their situation and if they’ll finally learn to work together.

It's clear the author is a trained writer, as well as a former English teacher, as the writing style is refined and pleasant. That being said, while I found the setting and circumstances interesting, I didn’t care what would come next until the last seventy pages or so. Because of that, it is a slower read. However, considering this is the second book in a trilogy, I would imagine this installment is the setup for an exciting third book.

TRESPASSERS is the kind of story that reinforces the old adage: Be careful what you wish for. Tristan and Dylan could’ve never predicted the consequences of their actions, and neither could Susanna. I’m curious to see where it goes, and even more curious for the film which will star Louis Partridge from ENOLA HOLMES and be directed by Kelly Marcel.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account