Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Overall, this a splendid book and I very much enjoyed every bit.
Good Points
To Kill a Mockingbird Review:

Where I live now is nothing like the sleepy, steaming town of Macomb, Alabama. Although, the author sure Harper Lee made me think I was really living there. In the book, To Kill a Mockingbird, stories are told in the view of an 8-year-old girl named Scout Finch. Scout's Father, Atticus, is an admired lawyer that helps out a black man, trying to win his case in court. This black man, named Tom Robinson, is accused of a terrible crime.

The reason I really liked this book was mainly because of Atticus. His wisdom stuck in my brain and life lessons were thrown at me. Atticus always seemed to have the perfect advice for either of his children, Jem and Scout, and even me! He seems so brave to be able to stand up for a black man in front of a town that despises people like Tom. He seemed to not care about what the world thought of him, which is something that's hard to do.

Mystery and adventure swirls into the story when the mention of Boo Radley comes alive. He is the Finches neighbor, but he never leaves the house. Apparently, only a few, lucky people have seen him step outside into the sunlight. Scout, Jem, and their new friend Dill act out skits of what they think Boo is like. The suspense you get from the tricks they play just make you want to read faster.

While the kids fun and games are at hand, Atticus is busy with the trial. I think as the story goes on, you get the vibe that Scout wrote these stories to show what a good, loyal man and father Atticus was. You can tell that he tried to do the right thing for everyone, and for not just himself. He kept his skills and talents to himself until they were needed. For example, when he shoot the rabid dog coming down the street in one shot without his glasses.

If you were to look deeper into the story, and find the heart of it, you'd find the theme. It's not just about living through tough conditions. It's about living in a world of intolerance towards other races. The townsfolk in the story are scared of other people's differences, and treat them like they don't belong. This could happen anywhere in the world that we live in today, making To Kill a Mockingbird even more realistic.

Throughout the court Tom's court trial, Atticus questions with caution. Some of the things that he asks seem to have no meaning, but in the end you'll discover why Atticus asked them in the first place. In the end, Atticus made it quite clear that Tom is innocent. He explains that black men and women are human just like us, and should be treated no different. But, I think everyone new that Tom was going to be convicted one way or another just because of the color of his skin.

The man who accused Tom, Bob Ewell, was enraged at Atticus for standing up for a black man and proving him wrong. He begins to show hatred towards the Finch family by spitting in Atticus's face. Of course, Atticus didn't do anything violent. He just walked away out of the kindness and patience in his heart. Now, Atticus's kids are in in danger of Bob. To find out what will happen to the kids, Boo Radley, and Bob Ewell, you'll have to read the book!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account