Young Adult Fiction 1318
Spectacularly Witchy!
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The Witchery is a wonderful debut novel, with six (6) unique POVs.
I'm not usually a fan of any more than three POVs, four tops, but Isabelle does a fantastic job of giving each character their own voice and personality, I didn't find myself confused and bogged down as I had in previous similar amounts of POVs.

While each character had their own backgrounds and personality, the witches all seemed to practice magic in the same way, despite different cultures. I was hoping for the magic usage and learning to be a little more fleshed out - but I suppose they all learned the same way in another popular magic world, as well.

I loved the different representations throughout the book. The diverse cast of characters made the story quite immersive and rich. The "rivalry" between schools was interesting; Witches of Mesmortes and the Mundanes at Hammersmitt - despite their differences (magic vs. non magic), they overcame their fears to help one-another.

There is a hint of romance, but again, nothing too fleshed out. The potential is there, for both new love and maybe even a second chance.

I found the book to be carefully constructed around the Wolves and their curse, bringing various twists and turns throughout. The Witchery is definitely a book that needs your full attention, as every detail matters.
The ending wraps up nicely, with just enough of a cliffhanger to keep you checking social media for sequel updates.

The Witchery has something to offer for any YA Urban Fantasy fan. Fingers crossed that there is a second book soon!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account