Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the mood or if this sequel just didn't work for me. There's nothing in particular that I could point out, but I found myself just kind of bored throughout.

I can't remember how I felt about Alenna and Liam the first time around, but the relationship really wasn't doing it for me in The Uprising. The spark just didn't seem to be there. Sure, there were "I love you"s and kisses, but it all just came across pretty flat. I think this series needs stronger friendships and less romances.

Most of the characters who I find most intriguing barely got any page time. Instead, it was basically all Liam and Alenna plus Cass, the reformed drone. And sadly, none of them really did it for me. Honestly, I'm really more of a plot/setting person than characters, but it's still difficult to enjoy something when the characters don't do enough to make me care about them. I mean, the fate of one of the main characters is a little murky (although assumed dead) and I was just kind of like "oh, that sucks X was one of my favorite." I didn't feel any strong emotion whatsoever.

And what about the big mystery behind the new monk? I'll be the first to say I'm not the most observant and don't tend to figure out the "big reveal" before it's introduced, but I guessed this one fairly easily. I mean, were they even trying to hide it? Also, I feel like I don't hate the UNA as much as I should. Don't get me wrong, I know they're the bad guy and I don't feel any sympathy, but I also don't feel the passionate hate all the characters do.

(view spoiler)

I know all of the above is negative, but that's only because I found the book fairly unremarkable. It wasn't terribly boring, but I didn't really enjoy it either, so I don't have much to say other than to point out the annoyances I had with the story.

The Nutshell: I remember liking The Forsaken, but The Uprising just didn't click with me. I wanted to like it, but I ended up feeling pretty indifferent to it all. The romance didn't work, the characters weren't particularly strong, and the UNA is starting to feel like something that's only used as a kind of support, no longer much of a main story. I find abandoned science complexes much more fascinating than predictable conspiracies.

Miss
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account