Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger. She wakes from a coma in hospital with no memory of how she got there or of the bizarre accident that caused the deaths of her best friends and her boyfriend, yet left her mysteriously unharmed. The doctors suggest that starting over in a new city, a new school, would be good for her and just to let the memories gradually come back on their own. But Mara's new start is anything but comforting. She sees the faces of her dead friends everywhere, and when she suddenly begins to see other people's deaths right before they happen, Mara wonders whether she's going crazy! And if dealing with all this wasn't enough, Noah Shaw, the most beautiful boy she has ever seen can't seem to leave her alone… but as her life unravels around her, Mara can't help but wonder if Noah has another agenda altogether…

What I expected: A very haunting book with lots of accidental deaths, and purposeful death as well. A book that related to the title, as Mara becomes a different person via Noah.

What I got: A book with characters that are kinda soft, and the plot not entirely chilling. The hallucinating with Mara was very well done, but was really obvious what was happening. The beginning was really great, but she didn't really lose much memories, not as much as I would of like, it would of made the mystery deeper. The ending kinda dropped off, making the book lose its great plot. There were some confusing parts, like drinking the blood, and waking up afterwards.

I thought that it was great to have Mara hallucinating. It brings a whole new level onto her character, as well as the plot. I thought that it was great to have a damaged character playing the lead, as it lets the character and the reader fight through. Even though Mara is damaged, she still comes out with great lines, especially that one about the hierarchy of asses.

I didn't really like Noah. It's not just because of his reputation, but that does play a part, but it's mainly because I see nothing that really deserves Mara's love. He just sees she's different than everyone else, then wham, he's stalking her, and she's just falls in love. He also doesn't seem that nice of a person, as he acts like an 'asscrown'.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer has a great start, middle, but a not so great ending, as the plot slowly drops off. There are some great lines, and great scenes, some creepy, some funny, some adventurous. This book is not my type, but if you look at the other reviews, you can see it might appeal to you.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account