N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
You know that book.

The one you want to soak up, but savor at the same time. The one that you could finish in hours, but you stretch it out over a few days. Memorizing quotes and making note of the moments that made you smile.

This is one of those books.

There is something about a Sarah Ockler book that takes me back to the first time I ever read one of her novels. Takes me back to sitting out by the pool on a hot summer day, book in my lap, sun on my face. Twenty Boy Summer was the book that sealed the deal for me on summer-fling books. Sweet and sad and beautiful.

The Summer of Chasing Mermaids is a gorgeously charming book. I wanted to live in it.

Elyse d’Abreau is a transplant from Tobago.
She can’t speak.
She belongs to the ocean.
She can’t resist a sweet little boy on a mermaid mission and his hot, older, sailor brother.
And she doesn’t know who the great Tami Taylor is! (Ya’ll. This cracked me up! WWTTD?)!

I loved every single character this book contains. From Lemon and her coven to Vanessa and her momma. And especially Sebastian. I LOVED THEM. I want to be in Atargatis Cove immediately.

The relation to The Little Mermaid was evident and I geeked out multiple times. It’s beautifully intertwined within the pages. Little clues and easter eggs.

As always, Sarah Ockler’s writing gets me. I fall in step with it. I get caught up in the waves and tides (especially with all the ocean business in this one). It reminds me of a Sarah Dessen book, but more mature. More diverse.

The Summer of Chasing Mermaids is a stunning book about dealing with the hand life dealt you and finding your voice. The voice that you change the world with (or just a moment).

A voice, no matter how small, can make all the difference.

The perfect summer book. Equal parts romance and mermaid lore.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account