N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Yan

Okay so I read books before that lose me here and there but The Summer I Turned Pretty takes the cake. I honestly have no idea what the main point of the book is. Was it to show the relationship of Conrad and Belly (Isabel)? If so then the rushing everything in the last chapter does not qualify it. Or was it to showcase the tightness between the two families? Then why would you write half the book solely on Bellys romantic swing. Maybe it was the combination of everythinglove, family, growth, and coming to terms to the present. Even so the execution was choppy.

At first when the author switches back and forth between present summer and past summer I did not like it. The main reason was because I had trouble following the timeline. But then I noticed the age beneath the chapter and it all became clear. Once I got the flow of things I liked how the author reverts back and forth. It gave more detail about Belly and her situation with the summer family.

What I did not seem to like about this book was the non-connection I had to the majority of characters. There were scenes that I had a deep sense of understanding but overall nothing. I guess if I gave more maybe I would have gotten back more. Who knows?

I just do not know what to say about this book. It was finenothing wow, nothing too disturbing to blab on for 5 pages, but nothing really worth picking up.

Overall: I would not really consider this a summer read since it has more of a deeper meaning. More of a fall read when we want to remember summer.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account