Review Detail

Middle Grade Fiction 737
Heartbreaking, Magical story of sisterhood.
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Liked:
The Sisters of Luna Island is a heartwarming and heartbreaking, magical story of sisterhood. A middle-grade novel that weaves magic, in this case, aroma magic, into a real-life family struggling with serious family issues. The Lafluer family is the last of a line of aromages who blend scents into practical charms using herbs but with magical intent. The family lives on what I picture as a small-town island, where everyone knows everyone. The girls even take a ferry to school, so superstitions and island history easily lend themselves to a witchhunt.
With three daughters in this family and a mom and dad whose marriage is on the rocks, the youngest takes on the responsibility of ridding her family of the curse.
Final Verdict:
The sisters of luna island have hints of nevermoor and little women, which drew me right into the tale; the strong bond of friendship from sam and the determination of Marigold to rid her family of the curse makes the story. Middle school is hard when you feel like you have to fit in and do anything to be part of the crowd. Having magic to help alone proves to be a challenge for the three sisters, almost destroying the whole family. A great book to share some important life lessons with middle-grade students. With themes of magic, scents, small-town life, and most importantly, the bonds of sisterhood.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account