Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
When I read a book that I didn't love but so many others have, I'm really torn. I always second guess myself and think about what I missed and what I didn't get. The Raven Boys is one of those books for me. I don't want to compare this book to others that Maggie has written because each one and each series is different. And I LOVED The Scorpio Races, it was my favorite book of last year. So I was really torn over not loving this one.

What I did like about The Raven Boys was the world that Stiefvater created. She has a way with words that makes each series and each story so unique and original. Maggie's writing is always beautiful and I can appreciate that, even though I didn't care for this particular story.

I struggled to get through this book. I found the change of narrators confusing and it took me a long time to figure out which boy was which. As beautiful as the writing is, the story seemed to drag in many places. It was about half-way through the book before I was excited about anything that happened and then it was many more pages before anything else really happened. The pace of the story did not work for me.

I don't think I will read any follow up books in this series. I just didn't connect with it. That's not to say that you won't. Maggie Stiefvater has a huge following and many people are raving over this book. You may read this book and think I'm crazy for not loving it. Again, I had high hopes for this book but it missed the mark for me.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account