Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The Paper Girl of Paris is written by journalist Jordyn Taylor and is set in both historical 1940’s and nowadays Paris. Since Paris is my favorite city, and I wanted to read something out of my comfort zone (historical fiction), I thought this book would be the perfect match to read!

Sixteen-year-old Alice goes to Paris in the summer with her parents to take a look at the apartment her grandmother left her. Nobody knew she had an apartment in Paris, and the whole family is in the dark about what they will find her. With Alice’s mom having a depression, it’s hard for Alice to function normally. And when they find the apartment - left untouched ever since 1940 - her mom doesn’t want anything to do with it. But when Alice finds the diary of the sister of her grandma she never knew existed, she has to choice but to embark on a journey that will lead her all through Paris.

At the same time, you’re reading about Adalyn, the sister of Alice’s grandmother, who’s living in occupied Paris during the Second World War. She’s done with the way the Germans are treating them, and she finds herself to be tied up into the underground network of the resistance. Not ever her sister - Chloe, Alice’s grandmother - knows this. And so a dangerous and fascinating story follows.

What I really love about The Paper Girl of Paris is how real everything is described. I’ve visited Paris multiple times over the last couple of years and I could see myself walking through the streets with Alice and later on Paul. I even imagine myself in 1940’s Paris just by the descriptions of Taylor. Clothing is described in detail which helps with imagining how living in Paris was during those year. For instance: no silk stockings were available.

The chapters are from either Alice’s of Adalyn’s perspective. Because the storylines fill each other up so wonderfully, there’s never a dull moment. However, sometimes, the jumps in time are ‘too easy’ (for instance: one day Alice is prepping for something and one paragraph later that thing she was prepping for was already happening - I missed some filling in between), and also her parents seem to be functioning as props most of the time. They are in Paris, but not really. But that may be a great description of Alice’s mother’s state of mind during their visit to Paris.

I loved reading both storylines and was surprised by how they ended up together. I think everything is tied up nice and neatly, no questions left unanswered. Just the way I like it. And I did tear up a little - it’s an emotional book!

The Paper Girl of Paris is a well crafted story that will keep you up all throughout the night. It’s emotional, it’s enchanting and lovable. You will love it!
Good Points
- well crafted
- enchanting
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account