The Most Dazzling Girl In Berlin
(Updated: April 07, 2022)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What worked: Heartwrenching, powerful historical of a queer girl trying to find her place in 1932 Berlin. I'm a huge fan of verse novels and Wilson's novel has readers rooting for Hilde, an orphan, who after she turns eighteen leaves the orphanage, searching for a place to belong. Set in 1932 Berlin, this novel includes the political upheaval, along with how freedoms some took for granted, were slowly being taken away.

Hilde struggles with confidence in herself and while looking for work, she stumbles into Cafe Lila, a cabaret. Once there she meets Rose and falls for the dazzling girl. I really loved how Wilson shows Hilde trying hard to fit in and also her compassion for others like Lena, who she has to compete against to keep her job.

The love story slowly builds as Hilde longs to be more than just friends with Rose and worries about how safe it is to act on her feelings. Hilde's fears of the change sweeping her country. Hilde is courageous, loyal, and empathic to others.

Fast-paced, tension-filled scenes that had me on the edge of my seat. What Berlin went through in 1932 and what our country went through in 2016 are eerily similar. Hilde longed for a community where she could fit in and feel wanted. Cafe Lila offered that. Those scenes were powerful and also bittersweet, knowing what would happen in 1933.

Beautifully written verse novel of a young queer girl who searches for her place in Berlin while change comes. I totally loved this story and rooted for Hilde and Rose. A must-read for all those who love historicals with queer protagonists.
Good Points
Coming of age tale of a queer girl trying to find her home in 1932 Berlin
Heartwrenching, powerful story told in verse
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account