Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I think it's safe to say I've jumped on the bandwagon.

First of all, I'm definitely a Jace girl. I mean, I like Simon and I really want to give the poor guy a hug, but he just doesn't quite do it for me. Which is amusing since I almost always go for the cute, quit nerd guy. But Jace, man.
I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about him and Clary now, though. I'm still living in a bit of denial about it.

I can't remember the last time I got this into a book. I was laughing out loud, pausing to talk to myself about scenes (yes, I actually talk out loud to myself), and shaking the book like a cray person trying to get a better answer from a Magic 8-Ball. True story: I was nearly done with it when I got off work so I read while I was walking home and was talking to the book and generally freaking out a little. I'm pretty sure everyone I passed thought I was crazy.

And it's funny. Like, really, really funny. Normally if a book gets a few chuckles or a smirk from me I call it good, but this book had me laughing out loud more times than I can count. One of the best parts about the humor is that it doesn't all ride on one character, either. Almost all the characters get at least a few good lines.

I really enjoyed the character development too.
With both Isabelle and Alec were kind of bitchy and annoying in the beginning but slowly grew on my throughout. I especially have a soft spot for Alec, because the guy is so squishy and vulnerable under all the jerk exterior.
Clary was a bit dense, whiny, and helpless in the beginning but she definitely came into her own by the end. I really appreciate that she wasn't naturally this bad-ass demon killing machine immediately after discovering the world existed. Heck, she doesn't even pick up a weapon until about 2/3 of the way in. I like that it gives her plenty of room to grow and that you could already see a bit of growth in her by the end.
And Jace...well, I'm not actually sure that Jace grew much besides opening himself up just the tiniest bit more because of Clary. But that's okay, because he's Jace.
Simon is just so huggable. When the story starts you can tell he'll do anything for Clary and that she doesn't even realize it, let alone appreciate it. But when he yelled at her and had his awesome scene with the bow I cheered for him a bit. Because he's a really sweet guy and he shouldn't just let Clary walk all over him (however unintentional it may be on her part.)

The Nutshell: Basically, I loved it. Way more than I've loved any other book in a good long while. I don't have one bad thing to say. And also, Jace.

Direct Hit
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account