Young Adult Fiction 1193
Fun, Fast-Paced Read
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This is a fun, fresh, fast-paced read that has nostalgic vibes for 2000s YA novels. There’s a lot of action and the way the main character worked hard to develop her skills felt realistic. I love a character who has strengths and flaws, and Winnie fits the bill—she’s stubborn, smart, hard-working, and loyal above all, but she’s got anxiety or possibly OCD, and deals with bullying and limited support for part of the book, which impacts how she interacts with others throughout the rest of the story.

The world-building didn’t feel as thoroughly explored as it could have been, with the structure of the Luminaries largely unexplained and the concept of the Dianas remaining mysterious. I was hoping for a bit more romance in the story, but hopefully that’ll pan out in the sequel.

Overall, the story has strong bones, featuring an intriguing set-up that I’m hoping will flesh out more fully in the next book. The concept of nightmares and the Luminaries was fascinating, and while there is a bit of gore, the writing reads as on the younger end of YA, and is age appropriate. While the focus is mainly on developing skills and fighting nightmares as well as navigating the trials, it also focuses a bit on bullying, managing the trauma of being an outcast in such a closely knit society, and incorporates a diverse society.
Good Points
-Diverse, well-rounded cast of characters
-Fast-paced read
-Lots of action
-Intriguing plot
-Outcast/nerdy girl teams up with hot/loner guy
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account