Review Detail

4.0 7
Young Adult Fiction 245
Definitely not your average vampire book!!
(Updated: February 01, 2013)
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Four words. Best. Vampire. Book. Ever. Enough said. But since I want others to read it, I'll keep going. There is no vampire love, no mistake at all that the vampires are anything other than horrible, human-eating monsters.

In this world, humans (or hepers) are basically extinct. The world is full of vampires. And no, Twilight Fans, they are not romantic (yay!). Gene is a human. So, in order to survive in a world of vampires who turn into monsters at the sight of humans, he has to blend in. That means, shaving his legs, wearing fake fangs, never showing emotion, never getting sweaty. The list goes on. In this world, the ruler has decided that it's about time for a good heper hunt. So they have a lottery for five lucky contestants who will go and kill some hepers. The person who kills the most hepers wins. And guess what? Gene is chosen, along with the gorgeous girl from his school, who he designates "Ashley June". Can Gene survive amongst these bloodthirsty vamps? Can he hide his identity?

At first, I thought this book was going to turn out to be some sort of Hunger Games knock-off. I mean, throw seven "lucky" lottery winners into an arena to fight off as many as you can and be the winner. But this is DEFINITELY no Hunger Games knockoff. As soon as I began the book, I lost all suspicion about any copy.

Finally, a book where the vampires are not civilised people capable of love or standing in the sun or sleeping normally. No. These vamps are bloodthirsty monsters, who melt in the sun, sleep hanging off the roof, have completely emotionless faces, and scratch their wrists when they find something funny (strange, I know, but don't forget, these are not human).

The Hunt does feature a little bit of romance. Although this part of the book was very predictable, I still enjoyed it a lot.

Something I didn't realise throughout the entire book: the characters don't have any names. I don't know why, but that just slipped my mind until it was actually said.

The characters are amazing and completely not two-dimensional. They all have a backstory, something that a lot of YA novels conveniently forget. And then it turns out something like this: "How did we meet and why do we love each other (insert name here)?" "Oh, you know, just 'cause." "Okay then".

I loved the writing style. The way Gene was talking, it was like we were the vampires, explaining simple stuff we don't even think about (e.g. smiling, goosebumps, etc.). And you could see how much Gene was struggling to survive, even just in the every day world.

This book is completely amazing. Even though it may sound like a Hunger Games ripoff, trust me, it's not. So if you're looking for an action-packed, kick-ass and addictive novel, look no further. This book is not to be missed.
Good Points
- Everything. This. Book. Is. Amazing.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
February 04, 2013
Loved your review! I am reading the second book now.
1 results - showing 1 - 1