Review Detail

4.6 43
Young Adult Fiction 782
A Worthy Continuation -- Left Me Hanging...
(Updated: October 03, 2013)
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Another solidly written plotline, and a continuation into the universe of the Hunger Games. In addition to the dilemma of kill-or-be-killed, the story becomes steadily more political. Some of the hows, whys, and histories are unfolded into a disturbingly believable scenario. The character development moves along at the pace of events, which doesn't leave you with a lot of easy opportunities to put the book down.

I particularly appreciated being able to sympathize with the main character's emotional distress, and the confusion of having her will usurped. It brought up very adult considerations, while avoiding actual adult 'situations' that could easily have been related. I have to give it kudos for making me consider whether humans really do love better, clearer, and deeper when they are free to do so.

My only real complaint would be the sense of incompleteness to the ending. This book didn't stand alone, and in a way I felt it forced me into reading the third book. But then, I rather resent cheap cliffhanger tricks. I would have read the third one, regardless!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account