Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I didn't realize how much I loved this book until I reread it. I hate rereading books, mostly because I love the experience of reading a book for the first time, and rereading the book sort of takes away all the magic for me. This book is one of the only exceptions.

PROS:
-The world is amazingly developed:
Panem is a continent separated into 12 Districts, and Katniss Everdeen lives in the 12th. Each District is known for its different duties to the continent, and District 12 specializes in mining, and is one of the overlooked Districts. Every year, there is a spectator/gladiator event that involves two "Tributes" from each of the Districts, and they must be children, rallying up 24 kids to participate. The event is called the Hunger Games, a piece of revenge by the Capitol of Panem on an earlier rebellion, where the Tributes fight to the death live on television.
-The setting is a character:
District 12, the Capitol, and the Arena all come alive in the story. The Arena's features differ each year for the Games, and Katniss battles in a very woodsy-type arena. The characters have to accomodate to the forest.

CONS
Katniss:
Katniss's character has always bugged me. I like Katniss Everdeen, but not the way she makes decisions, or the way she acts. Katniss is the real "mother" of her family, and hunts for food though the law doesn't allow it, and takes her sister Prim's place in the Hunger Games. But Katniss is a very rash and instinctual character. She thinks some things through, but she, in my opinion, gets sort of a big head, and takes advantage of all the attention that she earns. That isn't an entirely bad idea, but Katniss should spend her time focusing more on the task at hand rather than manipulating the Capitol and its viewers.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 4

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account