Young Adult Fiction 773
The Good Hawk by Joseph Elliot - Book and Audio Review
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What a story. There was just so much enjoyable about this book. I practically finished the whole thing in a day. The atmosphere was so well described out that I could imagine Agatha and Jaime’s journey. In stories like this, I really appreciate the fantasy factor. It’s so subtle integrated that it honestly feels like apart of the everyday real world. The pacing was fast and definitely set up for the rest of the series.

While I really enjoyed the world and the story telling, it was the characters that truly made me involved. Agatha. Oh my goodness, I would defend her until my dying breath but I wouldn’t need to because she is strong herself. Her personality is amazing and just so pure. Even though she makes mistakes she is true and devoted to her clan. I really appreciated the way her disability was presented through the book. It really added to her character and I couldn’t imagine her any other way. Jaime was amazing as well and such a good counterpart to Agatha. It makes complete sense how and why they compliment each other and I cannot wait for the rest of their journey.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Overall, The Good Hawk by Joseph Elliot was a surprisingly good find. I’m so glad that I started this series and I cannot wait to continue it. This story is so unique and I love the subtle fantasy theme to it. This is definitely the beginning of their journey and it’s clear that this first book is the set up. I’m so intrigued on the rest of the series. While I loved the writing and world building, it really was the characters that stole the show, especially Agatha. She was such an amazingly written character and I loved her personality. Jaime was a great counterpart for Agatha and I definitely am rooting for them to bring their clan back together.

AUDIO REVIEW
NOTE: The narration does not affect my rating of the book
Holy audio. I absolutely loved this and the narrators killed it. Narrating in a Scottish accent to really bring the story to life was an amazing touch. Fiona Hardingham is one of my favorite narrators and wow… she is so talented. The way she gave Agatha such a distinctive voice… I’m definitely finding a way to listen to the rest of these on audios. If you are a beginner to audiobooks though, this might be a little rough. I would recommend reading along or just going straight with the physical edition. But those who love audioboooks — do it. NOTE: I guess there are 2 different versions. One where Fiona narrates the whole thing and one with Fiona and Gary Furlong. I did the dual narration and loved it!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account