Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Eighteen-year-old Kate Winters moves with her dying mother to the small town Eden. It's her mother's last wish. While there Kate plans to stay with her mother to the end. In the meantime Kate decides she'll only finish out her senior year and not date anyone. It's safer that way.

That all changes once she's at the new high school. One girl seems jealous of the attention her boyfriend is giving Kate, who wants nothing to do with him. She invites Kate to a party, who reluctantly goes. Tragedy strikes and a handsome stranger shows up. Kate begs him for help and he does on the condition she read the myth of Persephone.

From there even stranger things happen which include bringing the dead back to life with a cost. A cost Kate's not sure she can pay.

I really enjoyed this twist on the Persephone tale. Kate is a very likeable character. When a new mean girl's cruel prank turns on her, Kate doesn't leave but instead faces her worse fear in order to save her. Also she's willing to come to a backwards town(which we later find is not what it seems)in order to stay with her dying mother who she'd cared for since a freshman.

I'm not a fan of prologues but I felt the one in this story worked as it helped set up what would happen later.

The chemistry between the stranger Henry and Kate grows slowly. But when it ignites, wow. The romance isn't over the top either. Another big thing I liked is how Henry isn't stalking her but instead lets Kate make the choice whether she's willing to filfill her agreement.

Other characters include James, a quirky teen at the school who ends up being more than he seems. Ava, the mean girl turn friend who shows her true worth in the end.

But the biggest character has to be the town of Eden which is a unique twist on Greek mythology. This story is fresh and unique with characters you care for. I'm not up on my Greek mythology but this story doesn't go over the top on the antics of the Gods in relation to their dealings with mortals. There's twists and turns throughout the story. A few times I expected one character to be behind the other goddess in training deaths but was surprised at the final revelation.

The Goddess Test is a quick fun read. Can't wait for the next book!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account