Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The Goddess Inheritance was a complete and utter disappointment. After the cliffhanger ending in Goddess Interrupted, I was ready for an action-packed and suspenseful series conclusion. What I got was almost 300 pages of poor decision making and professions of eternal love. Considering the same plot device from previous novels was carried forward and then used multiple times, I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that absolutely nothing came as a surprise in The Goddess Inheritance.

Arguably, The Goddess Inheritance is much more action-packed than either The Goddess Test or Goddess Interrupted. From the first few pages we’re thrown into Kate’s kidnapping and Calliope’s sinister plans to separate Kate from her newborn baby. In a moment of desperation, Kate promises Cronus that she will become his Queen if he saves her son. This bargain/promise is then used several times over, during moments of heightened tension. After Cronus levels the city of Athens, Kate promises him that she will be his Queen if he promises not to hurt anyone else. When Henry is gravely injured, Kate rushes to Cronus and promises to be his Queen as long as he saves Henry. How many times does a Titan fall for the same lie? And what, exactly, is so special about Kate that Cronus is willing to set aside a millennia long war as long as she agrees to stand by his side for eternity?

The over-use of this same plot device in The Goddess Inheritance wouldn’t have been nearly so frustrating if, during the moments when Kate wasn’t with Cronus, she wasn’t spending all of her time professing her love to Henry and their family. It truly felt like the bulk of the dialogue between Kate and Henry was designed convince the reader that their love was deep and true, instead of unsure and fleeting, since Kate had been so insecure about their relationship in Goddess Interrupted. Instead of focusing on the task at hand, namely how to overpower Cronus in the war without Calliope or how to convince him that war was unnecessary, Kate and Henry spent all of their time in Olympus reassuring each other that their love was unconditional, regardless of the choices the other person might make. Instead of preparing Kate, helping her to learn how to use her new abilities or how she might be able to help them when they’re fighting, they spent their time making eyes at each other.

I was also disappointed with Kate. In the first two books, I really liked Kate. She grew significantly in Goddess Interrupted and I was looking forward to seeing her use that growth and confidence in The Goddess Inheritance. Unfortunately, a lot of the insecurities about feeling inadequate as a demi-god reared their ugly head, as did her pent up anger when she discovered the truth behind her father’s identity. Instead of proving the Council wrong, by showing her worth as a demi-god, she proved their mistrust was well-placed by making foolish or rash decisions that ultimately came back to haunt her. Instead of showing that she has matured and that her opinions are worth being heard, she stomped her foot and stormed from the room, much like a child, when they refused to acknowledge her ideas. Instead of providing the Council with information they could use about Cronus or Calliope’s plans, she wasted her time with Cronus by trying to appeal to his inner humanity. And then there was her treatment of Ava. Instead of giving Ava the benefit of the doubt, or letting her explain her side of the story, Kate decided that Ava was a backstabber and unworthy of her trust or forgiveness. It was a truly ugly side to Kate’s personality that went against the compassion she has shown for those who have lied to her in the past.

The Goddess Inheritance’s ending was wrapped up much too conveniently, and if anything, left me with more questions than answers. I can’t get into details without getting in to spoilers, but how does someone easily overcome their peer when they are equally as powerful? Why grieve for your daughter, but barely spare your granddaughter a passing glance? Why get involved now, when you’ve never wanted to be involved in the past? While we do see one main character killed off, it was done in such a way that I couldn’t gather up enough energy to care. It felt more like it was done to get a reaction out of the reader, than because it had grown organically. I also found it was all very anti-climatic. The epic showdown between Kate and Calliope was..short-lived, and Kate merely proved her uselessness by mostly being thrown around like a doll.

I really have no reason for giving The Goddess Inheritance two stars instead of one, other than because I didn’t hate it. I was disappointed by the direction it took, disappointed by the focus of the plot, and disappointed by a much too convenient ending. But at the same time, it was a conclusive ending to a series that, up until now, I had enjoyed.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account