Thrills from first page to last
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
WHAT I LOVED:
I knew I was going to adore The Girls I’ve Been before I ever started it. How could I not love a robbery-thwarting thriller starring a bisexual con artist? It’s just good gay science! Even so, it still blew me out of the water. I’ve barely read anything the past few weeks because things at my job have ramped up, but this is a book I made time for.

Nora is whip-smart, able to come up with new plans on the fly based on what turns the situation takes and the few things she has at her disposal, like Iris’s petticoat, a lighter, and a few bottles of alcohol. The robbers’ plan is already off to a bad start since the bank employee they need isn’t there and Nora works hard to make sure they can’t get back on their feet. When she realizes the perfect hostage is in the building, her first order of business is to get them out to safety.

Between each turn in the rapidly devolving situation, readers get insights into Nora’s past as the daughter of sweetheart scam-running Abby Devereaux, being used as an accomplice and tool in her mother’s cons. Learn a new name while her mother brushed her long blonde hair, develop her character based on three key words, and do whatever she was asked to. This was her life for girl after girl.

But then Abby fell for her mark and Nora gained a vicious criminal for a stepdad. The things Nora did as Ashley Keane are so incredible that Ashley has become something of a myth in criminal circles. So much so that revealing that she’s Ashley to one of the robbers changes their plans entirely because she’s a much better payday than what the robbers were looking for.

WHAT LEFT ME WANTING:
Is this a believable book? Goodness no, but it’s enough fun that most people aren’t going to care. You’re in for a good time, not a logical one. If the latter is what you want, maybe try another book. Come for the fast-paced thrills and get just what you were looking for.

FINAL VERDICT:
Now quit wasting time here. Go read The Girls I’ve Been if you haven’t already. Also feel free to inform her publisher that you really, really want the sequel Tess has been working on. Also follow her on social media if you aren’t ready. If you’re a writer, she’s got a ton of informative posts and Twitter threads about the many facets of the publishing industry she’s experienced as an author with many more books to her name than just the ones with “Tess Sharpe” on them.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account