Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
THE FIRST HOLIDAYS by Cait Marie is a novella set during winter break after THE LAST SUMMER, in which Lila and Gavin finally resolved their feud and admitted their feelings, only to be separated by the first semester of college. Lila is worried that their relationship could have shifted, and is even more concerned to tell Gavin about her plans to end the distance between them. At the same time, Beth Ann, Lila’s best friend, returns home after a semester in New York City and has to deal with her strained relationship with her parents, and her confusing feelings for Dylan, Gavin’s best friend.

This novella is told from four different POVs, which I absolutely loved. Getting to read the thoughts of Lila, Gavin, Beth Ann, AND Dylan really brought me into the story, and also moved the plot along perfectly, avoiding telling us what’s happening by showing us instead. It is also a great transition into the next book in the series in which the main characters are swapped.

Cait Marie does a good job in THE FIRST HOLIDAYS of tying up Lila and Gavin’s storyline for readers. Even though they’re young, we can imagine that their relationship is set up to continue on in whatever manner they decide. The novella also kicks off what’s next, even though I found how Beth Ann went back and forth to be a bit annoying.

That being said, like the book before it, I read this story so fast. It’s entertaining, and warm, and fun, and romantic. In many ways, though it’s a bit idealistic, it’s a nice fantasy to live in for a bit— friends who will do anything for one another, lovers unafraid of grand gestures, family who always has each other’s back, and people willing to help those in need. It’s honestly the kind of hope many can use right now and an excellent addition to the series.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account