Young Adult Fiction 7131
She is the Shield and Sacrifice, A VERY RISKY GAMBLE
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved: It was wonderful to return to the world Jennifer Lynn Barnes paints of Avery Kylie Grambs and the Hawthorne family in the mysterious Hawthorne estate. Avery is just weeks from living a year in Hawthorne House and gaining full access to the astronomical amount of money left to her by Tobias Hawthorne. However, a disturbing number of changes and job offers are afoot in any organization that has a connection to the Hawthornes. This unseen maneuvering undermines the power the Hawthornes have in protecting Avery and the estate.
Then Eve shows up at the estate with news that her father, Toby has been kidnapped. This leads Avery and the brothers down a dark riddle to uncover the man who taught the original Tobias Hawthorne everything he knows about strategy and riddles. This was a much darker addition to the series as they uncover the past and all the wrongful deeds Tobias was involved in to become the rich and powerful person that raised the boys.
They finally learn why Avery was put on the board. There were reasons before that were all good but she is the shield and sacrifice to protect his family from this man lurking in the shadows with more power and reach than even Tobias Hawthorne had. From beyond the grave, Tobias Hawthorne has set up a final riddle for Avery to solve to warn and guide her in her slim chance of winning this final gambit. Avery’s greatest asset is that she is young and female and therefore underestimated by old men who only think of her as a little girl.
Grayson finally reaches his breaking point with his guilt over Emily’s death. Avery is there to help him hold on. Jameson struggles to establish a relationship with Avery where they enjoy being partners in the game but don’t use each other as pawns. Alexander meets his father and learns the part Tobias played in keeping a father away that wanted him.
Final Verdict: This book delivers all the mystery and cleverness established in the previous books. The stakes are higher and the characters have never seemed more human with their struggles. This is a more mature story reflecting how Avery has changed from a wide-eyed girl to the smart strategist that is Tobias’ “very risky gamble” that can save his family once he can’t. Avery makes some very big decisions about what to do with the fate of her wealth. After reading the book I took some time to think about what would I have done in her place if I had the wealth that she does. This book and that question would make an excellent book club discussion.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account