Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The Delusionist by Don Calame is an fun and engaging read about a 15-year old Quin Purcell. All he wants in life is to be recognized for his magical talent and win a spot at the Masters of Magic Fantasy Camp. It would be even better if his friend Perry could come along too. Quinn has always performed with Perry so things get complicated when it looks like they might have to be solo acts.

What I loved: Don Calmame does an incredible job making it feel like the reader is actually watching the acts unfold. Quinn is a very relatable character, a reader can empathaize with his self-doubt (Don't we all have those moments?) while feeling the instant need to cheer him on while he maneuvers through all the twists and turns.

What left me wanting more: While Quinn is a well-developed and relatable character, I wish I got to know more about some of the other characters. However, I can see how developing more of the characters might have slowed down the pacing of the story.

Final Verdict: The Delusionist is fast paced and is the perfect blend of magical stunts, mystery, relationship building, humor, and relatable issues one faces growing up. I am looking forward to reading more of Don Calame's books.
Good Points
Humor
Engaging
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account