Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg was one of those all around awesome kind of books. My love for this book was clearly meant to be from the moment I saw all the references to Disney Princesses and the chapter titles, which are the best. My favorite was "Shot Through The Heart and You're to Blame". Jess Rothenberg has written a remarkable debut that I did not want to put down.

By the time I had finish maybe five pages of this one, I had to stop and just marvel at the writing. Jess Rothenberg is one talented lady and the story was one that I could not help but to get caught up in. The Catastrophic History of You and Me perfectly balances the funny, lighter side of Brie's story with entirely heartbreaking moments.

I loved Jess Rothenberg's spin on the afterlife. It was completely unlike other books that deal with the same subject, and I can say that it was definitely my favorite portrayal I have read yet. I loved following Brie through her journey and seeing where it would take her next.

The one pitfall for The Catastrophic History of You and Me was Brie herself throughout part of the middle of the book. She just deviated from the character I loved at the beginning of the book. Hamloaf, you are most definitely the coolest dog to walk the pages of young adult. Patrick was a character who really grew on me as the book went on. At first, I was like I like you. You're kind of like a stand up comedian. But as the book went on, he become a much deeper character than that and I loved him.

Fans of Leila Sales will eat this one up, with its charming characters and funny plot. The voice in The Catastrophic History of You and Me is incredible. Once you start reading this one, you won't want to put it down. Jess Rothenberg has written a heartbreakingly beautiful debut, and I am very eager to see more from her in the future.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account