Review Detail

Middle Grade Fiction 408
Paranormal Mystery at its best
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

The Brothers Flick: The Impossible Doors by Ryan Haddock is a middle grade graphic novel about a four brothers who live at an orphanage solving the strange and mysterious things that happen there. Each chapter is a complete, standalone adventure for Leo and his brothers while still keeping an overall theme. Each brother is unique in their abilities and what they bring to the book. Desmond Cole is the one that fills in the gaps, the so-called manager of the brothers. Leo is the detective and main character. Remington is the a genius inventor and also deaf. It took a bit for me to realize this because it is in graphic novel form, but I love how the authors and illustrators represented him and sign language. Cub is the baby and doesn’t do much but add some cuteness to the story.

I really enjoyed how each chapter was a different adventure. It kept the plot moving. For kids who have shorter attention spans, these individual chapters will keep them engaged in the story longer. The paneling and art help to tell the story as much as the text itself which is one of the things I love most about graphic novels. This one does this very well. Keen eyes will pick up on clues to the chapter’s mystery, and others will simply enjoy the extra details.

Overall I enjoyed The Brothers Flick: The Impossible Doors. I love supporting indie published authors and even more so when they are local. Imagine my surprise when I realized this one is both. Highly recommend this one for fans of paranormal adventures who like a little mystery and found family.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account