Review Detail

Richly Illustrated Guide
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

Animal books are always fascinating to young readers, and this book concentrates on over 70 animals and plants from all over the world that are especially good at moving from place to place! From the wild cherry to the wandering albatross to the water moccassin, a wide variety of flowers, trees, sea creatures, birds, and land animals are covered. Each is given a two page spread with a gorgeous portrait, which often include little in the way of background. There is a brief description of the animal, it's behaviors, and it's movements throughout the world. Maps detailing these movements are scattered throughout the book.
Good Points
I remember very vividly having to do an animal report in the fourth grade, and being enthralled with the variations in types of animals, their characteristics, and their behaviors. The fact that this book showcases animals that travel makes it even more appealing!

While migration is mentioned in Williams' Atlas of Animal Adventures: A Collection of Nature's Most Unmissable Events, Epic Migrations and Extraordinary Behaviours, most of the animal books I have seen don't, so this is a good resource to add to a library of animal books that might include DK's Children's Illustrated Animal Atlas, DiSpezio's Animal Atlas for Kids: A Visual Journey of Wildlife from Around the World and Holtfreter's My Animal Atlas: 270 Amazing Animals and Where They Live

This is perfect for pleasure reading, but would have been better for research if the animals had been organized in a recognizable fashion. They don't appear alphabetically, nor do they seem to be arranged according to type or location, so an index would have been helpful. There are also no source notes or bibliography.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account