Review Detail

4.4 8
Young Adult Fiction 215
A poignant, emotional story about self-discovery and passion that’s perfect for young readers
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Let me start off by saying I adore Jennifer’s writing. She’s poignant, detailed, and really knows how to steam up a scene, especially given the constraints of the YA genre. There is a very sad element that remains throughout the whole story due to Mr. Hall’s death and I really felt for Leah having to deal with a barely-there mother and a crazy reputation. There is a lot of heartache and self-discovery in Such a Rush, which makes it a perfect book for young readers.

My favorite parts of this book was anything with Grayson and Leah in it, which I felt wasn’t enough. Although I did like learning about Leah’s less-than-stellar life and how she didn’t define herself by how or where she grew up. Leah is definitely a kick-ass female lead and I loved how she never let things get to her, always striving for the best for herself and never giving up on her dreams. Grayson was a bit harder to like at first, with his attitude and all, but you eventually learn to love him and you can’t deny his sexiness, right from the start. Alec is very sweet and nice, too, but I didn’t really connect with his character.

I didn’t really care for all the talk about airplanes. Even if I’m not interested in a topic, I don’t mind learning about it and seeing the wonder if it through another person’s eyes, but I felt like Jennifer talked too much about airplanes. She would describe all the facets of planes and flying down to the most minuscule thing and I don’t think it did anything for the story. Yes, I get that Leah loves flying and all, but a bit more focus on the story and romance, less on the technical aspects of it all would’ve made me enjoy the book a lot more. I found myself skipping all the plane-related parts except when it was relevant to the story, which in my opinion, wasn’t a lot. You need to understand Leah’s passion for the flying and her relationship with the Hall family, yes, but it could’ve been done without so much talk about planes.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account