Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I love a good retelling of a fairytale. In fact, this is one of my genres of choice. I wasn't overly thrilled with the idea of a sci-fi twist on a fairytale, but I figured I would give it a try. After all, I loved A Long, Long Sleep and Cinder is super popular.

Unfortunately, that's where my excitement ends. I really couldn't get into Stitching Snow. It was just lacking something, and I can't put my finger on it. The book starts with Essie (Snow) kicking some major butt in a cage fight. It's obvious she is a strong female character. She's clever, hard working, tough as nails, and completely self-sufficient. That should have been enough for me to like her, but we never connected. Dane wasn't much better. I had a few more surprises and glimpses into his complicated past, but not enough for me to grab a t-shirt and declare "Team Dane". I didn't think the interactions between these two were much better. There were clever moments of witty dialogue that kept me reading, but I never bought the slowly building romance.

I guess the biggest plus for Stitching Snow is that the setting is unique; it takes place on several planets in a new solar system. That's pretty cool if you like that sort of thing. I don't. It was also a pleasant twist that Snow's father is a tyrant. Not your typical dead father that was worth his weight in gold story.

To be very honest, I stopped reading this book at about 70%. It just wasn't for me. I do love the cover though. I think it was perfect for the type of character Snow/Essie is, and the title clicked once I figured out what stitching was.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account